if you or anybody in your home have allergic to dogs or any kind of animal then it can be very concerning for you. It can also be very difficult to control his or her allergies around a dog that is considered non-hypoallergenic.
So, if you are going to adopt a Shar Peis in your home then there are lots of things that you need to consider the first. In order to know if a Shar Peis fits your family needs, it is very obvious to ask are Shar Peis hypoallergenic? So, let’s know that
Is Shar Peis Hypoallergenic?
No, Shar Peis are not hypoallergenic dog breeds and they haven’t been listed in the American Kennel Club. However, they can be a good companion to those who have less serious allergies. They do shed and produces some allergens on their body but at minimum.
Now after knowing that your Shar Peis don’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, it is very important to learn about their shedding time, dander forming ability, and the other things that can really factor into determining how your allergies is going to be triggered or react around a Shar-Pei.
If you really want to learn about the allergens of Shar Peis that can trigger your allergies or irritate them then make sure you go through the whole article.
In this guide, you will also get to know what is the allergens you can expect your Shar Peis producing or carrying on their body as well as what are the tips that can help you in keeping the danders forming and shedding at a minimum.
In this article, there are also some tips that are for families with allergies. But before I tell you those tips, you need to understand, why your Shar Peis hasn’t been listed by the American Kennel Club in the list of hypoallergenic dog breeds. so, let’s know that first
Why Shar Peis Doesn’t Claim The Title Of Hypoallergenic Dog Breed?
Before I give you any kind of Idea why Shar Peis doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, you need to understand what exactly the hypoallergenic word means.
The simple word hypoallergenic simply means that the animal you are going to keep a pet in your home is not going to Trigger or cause any kind of allergy to anyone around it.
This makes the dog very easier to maintain by the owner. There are lots of advantages of having a hypoallergenic dog breed in your homes like you or the one suffering from allergies doesn’t need to take any kind of precaution or medication to keep their pet around.
So, after knowing that there are few advantages of having a hypoallergenic dog breed, there is something that you need to understand.
There is no true hundred percent hypoallergenic dog breed that is entirely void of shedding and dander forming. So, it means that hypoallergenic dog breed also shed but not as much as a non-hypoallergenic dog breed.
Now after knowing what exactly the hypoallergenic word means and after knowing that there is no true 100%% hypoallergenic dog breed, you may want to know why your Shar Peis doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed.
Actually, being a non-hypoallergenic dog breed, they are going to shed and on the basis of their shedding feature which seems to occur two times a year, American Kennel Club hasn’t listed them as a hypoallergenic dog breed.
In the shedding season, they are going to shed heavily. In the Autumn season, you can expect them shedding some of its hair so that they can make some room for new hair growth which will be thicker and helpful for them to keep their body warmer nice throughout the winter.
The opposite happened but the same reaction will be noticed like they will be shedding in the springtime so that they can shed some of its winter coat to regulate the body temperature according to the seasonal change.
This kind of hair that grows in the spring season will help them keep their body cool throughout the summer times.
This is the way how your dog regulates the body temperature and you can’t do anything to completely stop your Shar Peis from shedding because it is natural for them that help them in regulating their body temperature.
I hope that you got why your Shar Peis doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed.
After knowing, why Shar Peis doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, let’s learn what are the allergens you can expect your Shar Peis carrying or producing that can irritate your allergies or make it worse.
Shar Peis Allergens
In dogs, saliva, urine, and danders are the major cause of allergies getting triggered in people who have an oversensitive immune system. In the case of Shar Peis, your Shar Peis tend to produce more danders allergens than saliva allergens.
So, you need to avoid their danders as much as possible and you need to do your best in keeping the danders forming at a minimum.
The best way to make sure is by keeping their skin always moisturized and making sure that it won’t get dry. Dry skin produces more dander forming on the skin which is not good for anyone’s oversensitive immune system.
The other things that is going to trigger your allergies are the urine and saliva of Shar Peis. Their urine and saliva contain allergic protein that can trigger and irritate allergies.
So, you need to avoid that saliva as well as urine. Teach your dog to pee in the designated area as well as how to keep their tongue to themselves.
Tips To Keep Dander Forming And Shedding Of Shar Peis At Minimum
- Grooming plays a huge role in determining how your allergy is going to react around the Shar Peis. So, make sure you groom them perfectly
- Always make sure that you are brushing your Shar Peis coat regularly and removing all the dead hairs from their body. If you don’t have that much of time then you can also brush their coat 3 to 4 times a week but not less than that
- When you brush and Dogs coat, their skin releasee natural oil all over the body and with good quality of Brush, you can distribute all those natural oil to the other parts of the body which will prevent them from getting their skin dry.
So, brushing is the best way to moisturize their skin with their natural oil. Brush their coat regularly with an ideal brush that suits their skin.
- If you already know what is the ideal brush for your Shar Peiss then congrats but if you are confused and let me tell you a slicker brush is what your Shar Peis coats need.
If you already have a sticker brush then again congrats but if you don’t have that he is the recommended slicker brush that I would recommend you.
This slicker brush will come with soft teeth and it will give a very painless experience to your dog.
It will give ticklish feeling to your dog while you will be brushing them as well as this is the brush that I have been using from the past few years
|Best Slicker Bristle Brush||Feature & Why to Buy||Check on Amazon|
|Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker/bristle Brush||It can help in getting rid of any kind of mats without any pain. Your dog will feel great too. Amazon Choice and Best Rated Popular Brush. It’s a slicker brush that acts as a bristle brush too and can add a great finish.||View on Amazon|
- Always brush Shar Peis coat in the direction of the hair growth
- Only bathe your Shar Peis when you feel the need. Frequent baths can cause their skin dry. Avoid bathing them too often. Bath them once a month only.
- Always bath them with natural pet shampoo that will help them getting the skin moisturized after the bath. Always make sure that their natural oil won’t get washed away with the water.
- Here is the recommended shampoo that I would recommend you because these shampoos are also effective in removing all the dirt, danders, and debris with water that often gets stuck on a Shar Peis coat.
These shampoos are also going to ensure that their skin is always moisturized after the bath.
- Always make sure that you are feeding them the right dietary routine. you should also feed them only high-quality food because high-quality food always contain high-quality ingredient and protein-rich ingredient
- Avoid feeding your Shar Peis Cheap food because it has been noticed that cheap foods do have nutrition but doesn’t have the right balance of nutrition that is essential for your dog to fulfill their all nutritional need. Avoid Cheap food or bad quality food
- Here are the foods that I would recommend you to feed your dog. These foods are also going to ensure that their skin is always healthy. These foods contain protein-rich ingredients and will ensure that they are getting all their nutritional need fulfilled.
Healthy skin is also a good sign that keeps their danders forming and shedding at a minimum
- Feed them with supplements like Omega supplement and fatty acids supplement. Omega supplements are very helpful for their skin.
Make sure that Omega supplements have been derived from wild fish Omega supplements will help their skin getting more and more healthy each month.
Tips For Families With Allergies
- Always wash your hand properly after you are done touching, handling, spending time, or playing with them. A proper hand wash is a smart move to make sure that all the danders that got stuck while you were petting them get washed away.
- Vacuum your home regularly to ensure that that danders and shedding hair get cleaned right away. Use a powerful and good vacuum cleaner that can get to places where it is impossible to reach with hand.
Their danders can get stuck around the house, and it is very important to use a powerful good quality vacuum cleaner. Here is the recommended vacuum cleaner and you can take a look at
- Install a good air cleaner if you want to breathe allergen-free air. Their danders can easily travel through the air because they are very light and tiny.
- Make sure Shar Peis are peeing in a designated area because you need to avoid their urine as much as possible
- Make sure you teach your dog how to keep their tongue to themselves and not to drool because their Saliva contains harmful proteins that can irritate or Trigger your allergy.
- Avoid distressing any kind of carpet on the floor as danders can get stuck on the carpet. Wooden flooring and marble flooring are the good floorings for Shar Peis.
- Avoid handling your Shar Peis on your bed because their danders can get fall right into your bed. Put some bedroom off-limit rule for your dog and make them stay away from the bed.
- You should make sure that you make them aware that they shouldn’t spend time on your couch. No Dog on the couch. Their danders can also get stuck on the couch where you will be spending most of your free time.
I hope that I managed to give you some space of information about the Shar-Pei as a non-hypoallergenic dog breed. If you have any questions regarding them then you can comment below and I will try to give your answer as soon as possible.
If you find this post helpful then please share it because it is going to encourage me to write more about them. Now it’s time to say goodbye, so see you in the next post, till then, take care and goodbye.
94% of pet owners say their animal pal makes them smile more than once a day. In 2007, I realized that I was made for saving Animals. My father is a Vet, and I think every pet deserves one. I started this blog, “InPetCare”, in 2019 with my father to enlighten a wider audience.