First of all, congrats if you are considering to adopt a Scottish Terriers in your home because I have some good news for you. If you or anybody in family members have allergies to dogs then it can be very concerning for you.
It can also be pretty much difficult for you to control his or her allergy. So, it is very obvious to ask if a Scottish Terriers is going to be hypoallergenic or not. So, are Scottish Terriers hypoallergenic?
Are Scottish Terriers Hypoallergenic?
Yes, Scottish Terriers are hypoallergenic dog breed according to the list of American Kennel Club and a perfect for those who have an oversensitive immune system.
They tend to develop nonshedding coat on their body and seem to carry fewer allergens on their coat.
Now after knowing that your Scottish Terriers claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, you may want to know about the abnormal shedding which can occur on dogs if they are kept on bad grooming or bad diet routine.
It is a very common mistake that you can make with your Scottish Terriers. If you really want to ensure that your Scottish Terriers stays hypoallergenic all its lifetime then make sure you read this post.I
n this post, I am going to give you some tips that can really help you in keeping your Scottish Terriers healthy as well as making sure that they stay hypoallergenic all his lifelong.
But before that, let’s know why they claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed and why they have been listed by American Kennel Club in the list.
What Makes A Scottish Terriers Hypoallergenic?
Before I tell you why your Scottish Terriers claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, it is necessary to know what exactly the hypoallergenic means.
The word hypoallergenic simply means that the dog that you are going to keep in your home is not going to Trigger or cause any kind of allergies to anyone around it, which makes it easier for the owner to maintain their pet.
So, after knowing that what exactly hypoallergenic dog breed, it is obvious to think that there are lots of advantages of having hypoallergenic dog breed in your homes like you or the one suffering from allergies doesn’t need to take any kind of medications to keep their pet around which makes it easier for the owner to maintain their tat.
However, let me tell you that there is no 100% hypoallergenic dog breed that doesn’t shed according to the researchers. So, it means that all hypoallergenic dog breeds are not entirely void of shedding and danders forming.
After knowing that even a hypoallergenic dog breed can shed, in the case of Scottish Terriers, you are less like to experience any kind of constant shedding.
By the constant shedding, we mean that you may not notice your Scottish Terriers shedding daily but you can notice them shedding in some months or some season like in the shedding season.
In the shedding season, they will need to layer up for the seasonal changes which is essential for them as it will help them to regulate their body temperature according to the changes.
Now, after knowing that your Scottish Terriers can shed, let’s know, why the American kennel club has listed them and how hypoallergenic dogs are listed on the list.
Actually, American Kennel Club has only listed the dogs as a hypoallergenic dog breed that comes with a nonshedding coat and doesn’t have that much of allergen as compared to other dogs.
Apart from that, it is also very common to notice in a dog that comes with wiry or curly coat getting its position in the list of hypoallergenic dog breeds.
After knowing, how American Kennel Club list hypoallergenic dogs, let’s know what are the features that make your Scottish Terriers hypoallergenic.
As I told you, your Scottish Terriers is not going to shed as much as one would think as well as they tend to develop a nonshedding coat on their body.
If they don’t shed then there will be less dander spreading around your house which means that they are completely safe for people who have allergies to dogs.
However, it is very important to maintain their nonshedding coat because if their skin gets dry or it becomes unhealthy then the shedding can occur and it can also be aggressive if your dogs face any kind of infection.
Apart from that, let me tell you that grooming and diet routine plays an important role in determining how much their non-shedding coat is going to be healthy.
After knowing that your Scottish Terriers develops non-shedding coat on its body, let me tell you that it is one of the most prominent features that makes them hypoallergenic and that is the reason why they have been listed in the list of hypoallergenic dog breed by the American Kennel Club
Scottish Terriers Don’t Role of him
I hope that I don’t need to tell you that their saliva contains a harmful protein that has the ability to trigger your allergies. So, it’s better to avoid that saliva and in the case of Scottish Terriers, they prefer to keep their tongue to themselves and they don’t drool often.
So, it means that there will be fewer chances of getting in contact with any kind of saliva allergens. So, it is also one of the features that makes them a perfect companion and perfect hypoallergenic dog breed for those who have an oversensitive immune system.
Low Danders Forming
As Scottish Terriers develop a non-shedding coat on its body, it is obvious to notice them forming less danders on their body. So as your Scottish Terriers is going to form dander at a very minimum, you will be less likely to get in contact with any kind of danders allergens.
So, it is also one of the best features of the Scottish Terriers that makes them hypoallergenic. However, you need to be aware that if you kept them on bad diet routine or bad grooming, the shedding can occur and dander forming will also be at its peak which is not good for anyone.
So, let’s know what are the tips that can really help you in ensuring that your Scottish Terriers is always hypoallergenic and will always stay hypoallergenic all his lifetime.
Tips To Ensure That Scottish Terriers Stays Hypoallergenic Lifelong
- Make sure that you groom your dog perfectly because it is going to make a huge difference in determining how your allergy is going to react around your Scottish Terriers.
Proper and effective grooming can make a huge difference in keeping the danders forming and shedding at a minimum.
- Brush Scottish Terriers coat at least twice or thrice a week so that, their danders forming and shedding will be at a minimum and their all dead loose hairs get combed and removed away from that coat.
- You should use a good quality of Brush that really suits your dog need because when you brush your dog’s coat with good quality of Brush, their skin releases natural oils all over the body and with that brush, you can easily distribute all the natural oils to other parts of their body which helps their skin from getting prevented from being dry which is good.
It is also going to ensure that their skin is always moisturized with their natural oil. So, do consider using a good quality of the brush.
- If you don’t have any idea what would be the ideal brush for your Scottish Terriers coat then let me tell you according to the Scottish Terriers coat, you will need a slicker brush.
A slicker brush is going to be very effective in removing all dead loose hair as well as in making sure that their all released natural oils get distributed to other parts of the body.
If you already have a slicker brush then Congrats and if you don’t have one, then here is the brush that you can take a look at. It is a recommended brush and I have been using this brush on my huskies from the last few years.
It works perfectly fine, you may think that huskies are large dog breed and Scottish Terriers is medium size then how a slicker brush is required, then let me tell you a slicker brush has been tested on over thousands of other dog breeds and according to the test, it has been found that a slicker brush not only help you in brush their coat but also helps you in removing all the dirt, debris, and danders, that have been stuck on the coat for months.
- Bath your Scottish Terriers when you feel the need because bathing a Scottish Terriers frequently can make the skin dry which is not good for anyone.
- Bath your Scottish Terriers with good quality of shampoo that is going to ensure that their natural oil won’t get washed away as well as all the dirt, debris and danders get removed away with the water.
Here are the recommended shampoos that I would recommend you use on your Scottish Terriers coat because it works perfectly fine and it can make a huge difference in keeping their danders forming and shedding at a minimum. It can also help you out in removing all the dirt, allergens, and the debris with the water that has been started for a while on your Scottish Terriers coat.
- Feed your dog with high-quality food because high-quality food always contains high-quality ingredients and have the right balance of Nutrition that is required to fulfill all your Scottish Terriers nutritional need.
- Avoid Cheap food because it has been observed that cheap food does have the nutrition but doesn’t have the right balance of Nutrition that is required to fulfill all the nutritional needs of your Scottish Terriers. Avoid Cheap food as well as bad quality food.
- Don’t feed your Scottish Terriers with any kind of kitchen leftover food or grain. Gains are harmful to the dog and you need to avoid any kind of food that contains grain ingredients in it.
Here are the foods that I would recommend to you because these foods are going to ensure that their skin is always healthy as well as will help you in making the skin more healthy in the future.
- Add some supplements like Omega and fatty acids supplements because it can really help you in making their skin more and more healthy each month.
Make sure that you are feeding your Scottish Terriers with Omega supplements that have been derived from wild fish.
I hope that I managed to give you some valuable information on Scottish Terriers as a hypoallergenic dog breed. If you find this post helpful then do share this post and make sure to comment below and let me know if you are going to adopt a Scottish Terriers in your home or not.
If you have any questions regarding Scottish Terriers then you can ask in the comment section and I will try to give your answer as soon as possible. see you in the next post, till then, take care and goodbye.