If you want to adopt a Basset Hounds in your home that it is very important to know if they are going to be allergic or not.
If you or anybody in your home have allergies to dogs that it can be very concerning for you and it can also be very difficult to control his or her allergies around a non-hypoallergenic dog.
So, it becomes very obvious to ask if a Basset Hounds is hypoallergenic or not. So, are Basset Hounds hypoallergenic dog breed.
Are Basset Hounds Hypoallergenic?
No, Basset Hounds are not hypoallergenic dog breed according to the list of American Kennel Club but they can be the perfect companion to those who have less serious allergies. They do shed and produce danders but not as much as one would think.
Now after knowing that your Basset Hounds doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, it is very important to know what are the grooming practices there are that can really help you in keeping their shedding and danders forming at minimum.
There are lots of things that can really determine how much your Basset Hounds is going to shed and how much danders forming is going to occur in their skin. Dry skin or unhealthy coat is going to increase the chances of danders forming on the skin which is not good.
It is important to know about the shedding, danders forming, and other things that can really contribute towards allergies getting triggered, if you really want to learn about all those things then go through the whole article.
In this article, I am also sharing some tips that can help you in keeping the shedding and dander forming at a minimum. These tips are very helpful for families with allergies.
Before I tell you what are the tips that can help you in keeping your Basset Hounds allergen-free and making your home more Basset Hounds friendly, let’s know why they don’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed.
Why Basset Hounds Doesn’t Claim The Title Of Hypoallergenic Dog Breed?
Before I tell you why they don’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed and don’t make it to the list of the American Kennel Club, let me tell you what exactly the word hypoallergenic means.
The word hypoallergenic simply means that the hypoallergenic dog or animal that you are going to keep in your home is not going to Trigger any kind of allergy to you or anyone around it.
So, you can say that there are lots of advantages of having a hypoallergenic dog breed in your home like you or the one who is suffering from allergies to an animal doesn’t need to take any kind of precaution or medications to keep it around which makes it very easier for owners to maintain their pet.
So, after knowing what exactly the hypoallergenic dog means, you may think that they are is completely void of danders and shedding but let me tell you it is not true.
There is no true 100% hypoallergenic dog breed that has been found till yet in this world by the researchers and it means that all the hypoallergenic dog breed that has been labeled as hypoallergenic only claim the title on the basis of their Low shedding feature and being prone to spreading allergen.
So it means that hypoallergenic dog breed also shed but not as much as a non-hypoallergenic dog breed. Plus, the hypoallergenic dog breed is not entirely void of shedding and danders.
So after knowing all the things about the hypoallergenic dog breed, let me tell you why is actually your Basset Hounds doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed.
Actually, your Basset Hound is going to shed some of its hair in the shedding season so that they can develop a new hair coat. In the Summertime they will need to develop a thin coat to keep their body cool so that they can survive.
So, in the spring season, you are more likely to experience some constant shedding from your Basset Hounds because they need to layer up and make some room for the new hair growth which will be thinner and will help them to keep their body cool all around the summer.
In the autumn season, your Basset Hound is again going to shed so that they can make some room for new thick hair growth which will help them to keep their body warm and nice throughout the winter.
The shedding process is quite natural for dogs and there is nothing you can’t do to completely stop your Basset Hounds from shedding. However, there are some tips that can really help you like if you groom them perfectly, you can keep the shedding as well as danders forming at a minimum.
Adding to that, this process of shedding helps your dog to regulate the body temperature according to the seasonal changes. So, I hope that you get it why your Basset Hounds doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed.
Now it’s time to know what kind of allergy as you can expect from your Basset Hounds that have the ability to Trigger your allergy.
Basset Hounds Allergens
I hope that I don’t need to tell you that you can expect your Basset Hounds to carry some allergens and let me tell you that danders are the major cause of allergies getting triggered.
Actually, danders is alone enough to bother your allergies and can really make you feel miserable. Apart from that, dogs’ urine and saliva can also irritate your allergies and can make you feel itch around your body.
So, danders, and urine is the major cause of allergies getting triggered by dogs. In the case of Basset Hounds, your Basset Hounds seems to carry more danders allergens than saliva allergens but it doesn’t mean that you are not going to experience any kind of allergy from their saliva and urine.
You will need to avoid their saliva and urine as much as possible and the best way is by making sure that your dog is a peeing in a designated area.
You also to train your dog on how to keep the tongue to themselves so that you can also avoid their saliva. But in the case of danders allergens, you will need to keep them on proper grooming as well as proper dietary routine.
Proper grooming and proper dietary routine is going to make sure that their skin is always healthy and moisturized.
Healthy skin is going to ensure that the danders forming and shedding is at a minimum. So, it is important to know the tips that can really help you and your families with allergies. Let’s know that.
Tips For Families With Allergies
I hope that I don’t need to tell you that it is very important to know this tips as well as follow this is because if you or anybody in your family member have an allergy then it can be very concerning and by following the steps, you can eliminate any kind of possibility of allergic getting triggered by a Basset Hounds. So, let’s know the tips. Here are the tips:
- Always wash your hand properly after you are done playing with your Basset Hounds because whenever you touch your Basset Hounds, their danders can get stuck right on your palm through which you will be touching your nose, eyes, and other parts of the body unconsciously allowing those irritants to make you feel miserable. So, washing your hand is a smart way to prevent allergens.
- Don’t allow your dog on your bed or on the couch because their danders can fall and get stuck right on your bed or on the couch where you will be spending most of your time. Put some bedroom off-limit and No dogs on the couch rule.
- If you notice your dog drooling then you need to teach them how to keep their tongue to themselves so that you can avoid their saliva. Being a very intelligent dog, it can be pretty is it to train them not to drool.
- Make sure, you make them aware of where to pee because it is very important to make them pee in a designated area so that you can prevent getting in contact with any kind of urine as the urine contains a harmful protein that can irritate your allergies.
- Please make sure that you keep your Basset Hounds perfectly groomed because grooming is going to be very effective in determining how your allergy is going to react around your Basset Hounds.
- Brush their coat daily with an ideal brush and if you don’t know what is the ideal brush that can really suit your Basset Hounds coat then let me tell you that by looking at the coat of your Basset Hounds, we get to know, they will require a slicker brush and it will be very effective than a pin brush.
If you already have a slicker brush then Congrats and if you don’t have one then here is the recommended slicker brush that I have been using from the past few years on my huskies and it works perfectly. The reviews are greatm make sure you check it out.
- Brush a Basset Hounds coat in the direction of the hair growth so that it becomes a very painless experience for your dog. Whenever you brush a dog’s good against the direction of their hair growth, it becomes very painful for your dog that is why we have recommended you brush your Basset Hounds coat in the direction of their hair growth.
- Only bath Basset Hounds when you feel the need because the frequent path can make their skin dry. Dry skin is going to promote more dander forming which is not good. So, only bath them once a month with good quality of shampoo
- Bath your Basset Hounds with a good quality natural shampoo that can really help you in removing all the dead hairs, allergens, dander, and debris with the water that has been stuck on the coat with the water.
Here are some recommended shampoos that I would recommend you because these shampoos are also going to make sure that their natural oil won’t get washed away with the water or with the bath.
Plus by using one of these shampoos, you can make sure that their skin is always moisturized after the bath.
- Always keep your Basset Hounds diet routine healthy because it is very important to feed your Basset Hounds with high-quality food that has high-quality ingredients. Avoid bad quality food.
- Don’t consider buying cheap food because it has been noticed that Cheap foods do have the nutrition but don’t have the right balance of nutrition that is needed for your dog to feel their nutritional need. So it’s better if you just avoid Cheap food.
- Choose the food that is going to ensure that their skin will always be healthy. I f you are confused then here are some recommendations of the proper food that will really suit your Basset Hounds skin. These foods are also going to ensure that the skin is always healthy as well as their coat is always shiny & fluffy.
- Avoid feeding your dog with any kind of kitchen leftover food and grains. Grains are harmful to dogs and avoid any kind of food that has grains.
- Add some supplements if you want because a supplement is mandatory if you really want to make the skin more and more healthy each month.
Omega supplements and fatty acid supplements are the best one that works perfectly in making sure that your dog skin gets more and more healthy each month.
Make sure that the Omega supplements that you are choosing have been derived from wild fish rather than farmed pond fish.
- Take your antihistamine properly because it is important to take antihistamine with your meal if you really want to block those problems that are causing you irritation in your over-sensitive immune system.
Antihistamines can help you in making your over-sensitive immune system less irritated around your Basset Hounds. Some of the common antihistamines.
- Vacuum your home perfectly because it is important to clean all those tiny particles which is dander from the floor. Use a good quality powerful vacuum cleaner that can really suck up all the dirt in minutes.
If you don’t have a good quality powerful vacuum cleaner than here is the link that you can check it out from the Amazon and if you want you can buy.
Through this article, I tried my best to give you some space of information about the Basset Hounds as a non-hypoallergenic dog breed and if you think that I did a pretty good job then make sure you share this post because it is going to encourage me to write more about them.
Apart from that, if you have any questions regarding Basset Hounds then you can comment below and I will try to give your answer as soon as possible. In the next post, till then, take care and goodbye.
94% of pet owners say their animal pal makes them smile more than once a day. In 2007, I realized that I was made for saving Animals. My father is a Vet, and I think every pet deserves one. I started this blog, “InPetCare”, in 2019 with my father to enlighten a wider audience.