Pomeranian is one of the most popular adorable and hug dog breed in the United States and Canada. Some peoples desire to keep designer dogs of different breeds and keeshond Pomeranian mix is one of them. The cross between Pomeranian and keeshond is known as the Pomeranian keeshond mix.
So, in this guide, I am going to share some space of information about the keeshond Pomeranian mix. If you don’t know much about them then and in this guide, you will get to know everything that you need to know about the keeshond Pomeranian mix.
Along with that, I am also going to share some space of information about how to take care of them but before that let’s know what exactly a keeshond Pomeranian mix?
What is a keeshond Pomeranian mix?
The keeshond Pomeranian mix is a crossbreed between Pomeranian and keeshond that was originally bred in the United States. keeshond all medium size dogs while Pomeranian is small-sized. They are going to feature a lovable, friendly, lively, sweet, and kind nature.
They can also be aggressive barkers and have some bossy nature like Pomeranian but most of the time it has been seen that they easily get along with their owners and their family members.
In this guide, you will get to know what they look like, what they need as a pet, what are their history, and what health concerns you are most likely to face with a pomeranian keeshond mix.
We will further discuss the temperament and health issues and along with that, I will also tell you what will be an ideal diet for a keeshond Pomeranian mix.
The keeshond Pomeranian mix can be a very funny, loving, and playful designer dog and if you desire to keep a good and healthy companion in your home then it can completely fulfill your need.
They can easily get along with children, cats, dogs, and even strangers. However, there are some downsides to having a designer dog like this one.
Keeping their grooming needs in mind, you may have to face some difficulties because this breed by which we mean, this hybrid can shed like crazy once or twice a year. Both of its parents are aggressive barker and you can expect the same from its offspring.
But before that, let’s know about their appearance
Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Physical Appearance
Both of its parents come with a thick double-layered coat that tends to shed once or twice the year. So, Keeshond Pomeranian mix is also going to have a thick double-layered silky coat with some fluffiness.
Proper grooming is required to keep them healthy and clean. If you don’t have time or patience enough to pay attention to their grooming needs then maybe this hybrid is not for you.
Both of its parents come in a different color, keeshond comes in Grey, white, and black color and can also be in the mix of that color. On the other side, its other parents Pomeranian comes also in different colors like chocolate brown, light brown, black, white, and grey.
So, you can expect some mixture of white, grey, and black color from the keeshond Pomeranian mix. Each of its puppies is going to be in different colors for sure.
Before we talk about keeshond Pomeranian mix size, you need to know about its parent size. Keeshond is a medium-sized dog while on the other hand Pomeranian is known as the smallest member of the spitz family dog group.
The size of each keeshond Pomeranian mix puppy can vary accordingly but most of the time, it has been observed that Keeshond Pomeranian mix features small stature with a fluffy body. They are going to be a small-sized dog. In rare cases, you may find them inheriting medium size from its parent keeshond.
Do You Know?
Demand for designer pets creates disturbing health issues in animals. Despite warnings from vets, people are loving mutts more and more. Sadly, such demand is also fueling puppy mills 🙁
Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Lifespan, Weight, and Height
It is almost next to impossible to know exactly about its size, weight, and lifespan but by looking at their both parents, we can easily guess what we can expect from their offspring.
Pomeranian weight: 327 pounds
Keeshond weight: 35 pounds to 45 pounds
Keeshond Pomeranian mix weight: 5 pounds to 25 lbs.
Pomeranian height: 7 inches to 12 inches
Keeshond height: 1 foot 4 inches to 1 foot 7 inches tall and the shoulder.
Keeshond Pomeranian mix height: 7 inches to 1 foot 5 inches tall at the shoulder
Pomeranian lifespan: 12 years to 16 years
keeshond lifespan: 12 years to 15 years
Keeshond Pomeranian mix lifespan: 12 years to 15 years
Now, after knowing their size, color, physical appearance, weight, and lifespan, we are going to learn some about their behavioral temperament.
Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Temperament
As I told you earlier their physical as well as behavioral temperament and traits can totally depend on how much they inherit from each parent’s Keeshond and Pomeranian.
But, they are popularly known for their intelligence level, loyalty, charming personality, and fluffiness. They can also be very alert and friendly by nature.
If you are looking to have a good Watchdog as well as a good companion that can easily get along with your kids then you can consider adopting a keeshond Pomeranian mix in your home.
That can easily get along with anybody and especially with those they have been raised alongside. However, early socialization is always mandatory to make it possible.
Apart from that, they can also get depressed or stressed out when they are left alone on their own. Most of the designer dogs like this one don’t do well on their own when they are left alone for more than 6 hours. This kind of hybrids requires attention, proper care, and interaction to live life long and to survive happily.
As one of its parents, Pomeranian tends to be very bossy By Nature even they are very small dogs. Its mix, keeshond and Pomeranian mix can be very aggressive towards strangers and can also behave aggressively towards their family members and sometimes towards their owner.
Apart from that, the last thing that I want to tell you about the temperament issue is that they can start chewing their owner’s belonging if they feel Ignored for too long.
You need to understand that most of the dogs especially designer dogs do these only two alerts to their owner that they need some interaction and they have been completely ignored by you or their family member. Depression is a major issue with this kind of designer dog.
Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Health Issues
Look, every single designer dogs that have been bred till now comes with some genetic health problems. That is the major downside of having a mix in your home. So keeshond Pomeranian mix is also going to come with some genetic health problems which they inherit from its both parents Genetics.
If you haven’t heard of something like this then I am sorry but it’s the bitter truth. The most common disease that has often seemed to get caught in the keeshond Pomeranian mix is cataracts and dilated cardiomyopathy.
Apart from that, the keeshond Pomeranian mix is also vulnerable to other diseases. Some of them can be major health concerns while some of them can be minor ones.
After doing 5 hours of research, we learned that your keeshond Pomeranian mix has the potential to develop some serious health problems from their parents Genetics at some point like hip dysplasia, shedding coat, hyperglycemia, corneal Dystrophy, allergies, eyesight problems, and even dental problems.
However, after interviewing 7 keeshond Pomeranian mix owners, we haven’t found anything susceptible to this kind of health concerns but according to our research, these health concerns can occur in a hybrid like this one at some point.
So, from our viewpoint, we would recommend you to have the occasional testing done on their elbow, skin, and hips. It is highly recommended to visit the vet more often for a quick health checkup with your keeshond Pomeranian mix.
Nobody knows what is waiting, so it will be better to be on the safe side by having occasional testing done. In this way, you can identify and eliminate the potential health issues problem at the early stage before it spread aggressively.
Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Training
One of its parent keeshond is very smart intelligent, and willing dogs but when it comes to the other parents’ training temperament, pomeranian intends to be bossy and aggressive sometimes. However, both of its parents are intelligent dog breeds and their crossbreed is also going to be very smart, willing, and intelligent dogs.
You can train them very easily but make sure that you handle your keeshond Pomeranian mix with the small grip. Apart from that, they can also learn their names and perform tricks for you.
They may not look to please you every time you want them to but if they are happy, they are going to be very affectionate towards you and can make you feel their love.
Keeshond Pomeranian Mix History
There is nothing much available on the Internet about the history of keeshond Pomeranian mix but if you really want to know about their history, you can take a quick look at its parent history.
Both of its parents got a brief history to discuss and to look on, but here we are not going to look at their parent history but I am going to share with you some interesting facts about their parent history in Bullet points.
- Pomeranian is two of the three dogs that survived the sinking Titanic ship.
- Queen Victoria was very fond of Pomeranian breeds and she imported a large number of Pomeranian from Italy to England. According to Wikipedia, there was a time when she had more than 35 Pomeranian in the kennel.
- Don’t get fooled by their cute personality and fluffiness because according to their history, they are somehow related to the wolves’ family.
- Today, we know that pomeranian is the smallest member of the spitz group family but just a few centuries ago, they were one of the biggest and largest members of the spitz group. Yes, they were three times larger than today’s size. People use to keep them to herd animals and pull sleds.
- Just like a pomeranian, keeshond is also a member of the spitz group. They were originally bred in Germany along with the Pomeranian.
Taking care of Pomeranian Keeshond Mix
There are lots of things that we can discuss on their grooming needs but to make it quick and as much as informative as possible, we are going to discuss all their grooming, needs and routine needs in Bullet points.
- Both of its parents tend to develop thick double coat so that it is very important to brush their coat regularly in order to prevent their coat from getting Tangled. You can either use a slicker brush or a pin brush.
- You need to make sure that you brush their coat in the direction of their growth because when a person brushes its dog coat against the direction of their hair growth, It’s become very painful for the dog.
- keeshond Pomeranian mix is going to shed once or twice a year, so it’s better to comb their coat outside the home and if you want to lessen your effort you can have a look at a good De-shedding tool.
- If you are allergic to animals that it is always mandatory to clean your house and to brush your coat outside the home so that their hairs and danders won’t get collected inside your home.
- Apart from that, you can also visit a good groomer and get their coat clipped or trimmed in the shedding season.
- It is also necessary to bath your keeshond Pomeranian mix, but, you need to make sure that you bath them occasionally by which we mean, once a month or once every 6 weeks.
>>How to groom a Mixed Breed Dog? (opens in a new tab)”>>>>How to groom a Mixed Breed Dog?
- When you bath your dog’s coat, you need to make sure that you are using good natural conditioner and shampoo on their coat to maintain their silkiness, fluffiness, and healthiness.
- Avoiding to use a proper shampoo or conditioner is going to make their skin and coat look dry and a natural person that’s why we recommend you to use a good natural conditioner and shampoo on their coat
- If you want then you can also trim your dog’s nails but most of the time it is not mandatory. However, if you have kids in your home then you can trim their nails and keep their nails short and perfect so that your kids don’t get scratched by your keeshond Pomeranian mix nail.
- There are lots of health concerns that you can face with a pomeranian keeshond mix and eyesight problem is one of them. That is why we recommend you to wipe their eyes to prevent any staining of the fur on its face.
- Just like eyes, you also need to clean their ears with a good cleanser. Keeshond Pomeranian mix is also prone to an ear infection. You can either do it on your own or you can also visit the vet. if you don’t know how to clean a dog’s ear you can read this post.
- A healthy diet routine is required to keep your dogs happy and safe. a normal hybrid dog diet routine slightly differs from normal pure breed dog diet routine.
- The rule of thumb says that the dry food diet is always considered a good diet but according to most of the designer dogs owner, it would be way better and safe if you just go for the Holistic dog food.
>>What to feed a Mixed Breed Dog? (opens in a new tab)” rel=”noreferrer noopener” class=”rank-math-link”>>>>What to feed a Mixed Breed Dog?
- If you want you can also prepare a good dietary routine by asking the original breeder from where you get those puppies and also you can get a fully prepared good diet routine by a professional veterinarian.
- You always need to make sure that the food you are going to feed your keeshond Pomeranian mix is made from high-quality ingredients because it is very important to fulfill their calcium, vitamin, proteins, and Mineral requirement.
- If you want, you can also feed your dog with some fruits and vegetables but it is only acceptable when you feed them occasionally. Avoid feeding your kitchens leftover foods.
What Is Good Food For The Occasion Pomeranian Mix?
High-quality food is always good food for keeshond Pomeranian mix and the high-quality foods mainly contain Turkey and chicken meat.
Here is our recommendation:
- Natural dry food
- Grain-free dry food
- Grain-free Yukon river canine Salman and sweet potato.
- Family foods gold nutritional foods
What is bad food for keeshond Pomeranian mix
The foods that contain lots of grains can be very dangerous to your keeshond Pomeranian mix. Avoid foods that contain lots of grain or grainy ingredients.
Foods that you need to avoid:
- Apple seeds
- Cat food
The FAQ ( Frequently Asked Questions )
How Much Does Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Puppy Cost?
A keeshond Pomeranian mix puppy can cost you around $200 to $500 depending upon the availability of the puppy, your residential location, and the quality of the puppy. Price also depends upon the breeder’s reputation. If you adopt from a reputable breeder then it can cost you more than $500.
How To Find A Keeshond Pomeranian Mix Puppy?
You can easily find a keeshond Pomeranian mix puppy at a local pet shop or you can also ask nearby in your location to find a reputable and well-known breeder. Apart from that, you can also do a quick Google and check the availability of the puppy in your location. Here is the website where you can check the availability of the puppy.
Websites Where You Can Find Keeshond Pomeranian mix Puppies
Adoptapet.com (United States)
Petfinder.com (Canada and the United States)
It is always good to adopt a pure breed over a hybrid but if you love designer dogs then you can adopt a keeshond Pomeranian mix. Being a designer dog, Its cuteness doesn’t get faded.
Its cuteness and special appearance can drive anyone crazy. Apart from that, if you are confused about what kind of designer dog you should adopt then you can check out different reviews and overviews on other Pomeranian mix as well as on the designer dogs.