If you can planning to adopt the Great Pyrenees in your house then there are lots of things that you need to consider first because if you or anybody in your family members have allergies then it can be very concerning for you.
It can pretty much difficult for you to control his or her allergies around the non-hypoallergenic dog. So, it is obvious to ask are Great Pyrenees hypoallergenic or not?
Are Great Pyrenees Hypoallergenic?
No, Great Pyrenees are not hypoallergenic dog breed according to the list of American Kennel Club. But, they can be good companions to those who have less allergy. It is important to keep them and proper grooming as well as a proper dietary routine to keep the shedding and danders forming as a minimum.
After knowing that Great Pyrenees doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed, you may want to know why but before that let me tell you that it is important to learn about the shedding time, dander forming, and their allergens that can factor into triggering allergies to you or to anyone who has an oversensitive immune system.
In this guide, you will get to know everything that you need to know about the Great Pyrenees as a non-hypoallergenic dog breed.
In this article, I am also going to give you some space of information about the tips that can help you in keeping their danders forming as well as shedding at a minimum. If you want to learn the tips that are helpful for families with allergy then stay with this article.
Before we know the tips that can really help you in preventing too much dander forming and shedding, let’s know why your Great Pyrenees doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed.
Why Great Pyrenees Are Not Considered As The Hypoallergenic Dog Breed?
Before I tell you why they don’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed or why they haven’t been listed by the American Kennel Club in the list of hypoallergenic dogs breed, you need to understand what exactly the word hypoallergenic means.
The word hypoallergenic simply means that the animal or dog that you are going to keep in your home is not going to cause or trigger any kind of allergy to you or anyone around it.
You may think that there can be tons of advantages and yes there are few advantages of having hypoallergenic dog breed like you or the one suffering from allergies don’t need to take any kind of medication or precaution to keep them around which makes it easier for the owners to maintain their pet.
However, it doesn’t mean that hypoallergenic dog breeds are entirely void of danders as well as shedding. Hypoallergenic dogs also shed but not as much as hypoallergenic dog breeds.
You are also likely to experience some kind of allergies from your hypoallergenic dog breed. Being a non-hypoallergenic dog breed, your Great Pyrenees is going to shed and leave some danders behind which can trigger your allergies.
Now it’s time to know why your Great Pyrenees doesn’t claim the title of hypoallergenic dog breed. Actually, your Great Pyrenees is going to produce some danders and it can get spread with the shedding hair.
Actually, a Great Pyrenees is going to shed heavily two times of the year in the shedding season. By the shedding season, we mean that in the season of autumn and spring, you are more likely to experience the constant shedding.
In the autumn season, they will need to layer up and make their coat thick so that they can survive in those colds days and won’t get insulated.
In the spring season, the same happens and they will need to make some room for the new hair growth and it will be much thinner than the previous coat by which mean the winter coat that will keep them cool throughout the summer days.
So, shedding is going to help them to regulate their body temperature. There is nothing you can do to stop them from shedding completely. However, there are some tips that can help you in keeping those shedding and danders morning at a minimum.
But before that, let’s know what are the allergens you can expect from Great Pyrenees that have the ability to trigger your allergies
Great Pyrenees Allergens
I hope that I don’t tell you that there are three major causes of allergens that come from a dog that can trigger your allergies very easily and can also make it worse.
Danders, saliva, and urine are the three major causes of these allergies getting triggered in people and especially to those who have over-sensitive immune system.
So it’s better to avoid these allergens. In the case of Great Pyrenees, it has been noticed that your Great Pyrenees tend to produce more danders allergens than saliva allergens and let me tell, danders are alone enough to cause allergies and make you feel miserable.
Apart from that, it is also important to avoid their saliva because their Saliva contains a harmful allergic protein that can really irritate your allergies.
There are few things that you need to keep in mind why you will be training them like you need to train them here to pee as well as how to keep their tongue to themselves. So let’s know what are the tips that are going to be helpful.
Tips To Prevent Too Much Shedding And Danders Forming On The Great Pyrenees
- The first and the most important tip for you is the grooming. Grooming can make a huge difference in determining how your allergy is going to react around a Great Pyrenees. So, make sure you keep your Great Pyrenees on proper grooming.
- Brush Great Pyrenees coat daily as it is very important to brush their coat. Apart from that, you need to understand that you should find an ideal brush really fits your Great Pyrenees coat need.
- If you are confused about what would the ideal brush for your Great Pyrenees then here is the recommended slicker brush. If you already have a slicker brush than Congrats and if you don’t have one then the here is the recommendation.
- This brush is not only going to effective in brushing their coat but also will help them to distribute their natural oil to another part of the body.
I hope that I don’t need to tell you that when you brush your dog coat their skin releases natural oil all over their skin and with this brush, you can easily distribute all the natural oil to the part of their body.
It means that their body will be moisturized all the time because dry skin can promote more dander forming and that is why it is necessary to brush their coat daily.
- Make sure that you brush their coat in the direction of their hair growth because whenever someone brushes their coat against the direction of their growth, it becomes very painful for the dog.
From my experience, let me tell you that you should always brush your dogs’ coat in the direction of their hair growth and the slicker brush that I have recommended comes with the soft teeth and it will give your dog ticklish feeling all over their body while you will be brushing them.
|Best Slicker Bristle Brush||Feature & Why to Buy||Check on Amazon|
|Hertzko Self Cleaning Slicker/bristle Brush||It can help in getting rid of any kind of mats without any pain. Your dog will feel great too. Amazon Choice and Best Rated Popular Brush. It’s a slicker brush that acts as a bristle brush too and can add a great finish.||View on Amazon|
- Always bath your Great Pyrenees, when you feel the need. Frequent baths can cause their skin to be dry. Dry skin means more dander forming. So, you need to bath them only when you feel the need. It is recommended to the bath them only once a month or every 6 weeks.
- Whenever you bath your Great Pyrenees, make sure you use a good quality of proper pet shampoo that can suit their coat need and will help them in keeping their natural oil retained on their body and won’t get washed away with the water.
- Here are the recommended shampoos that I would recommend you because these shampoos are not only going to ensure that their natural oil won’t get washed away with the water but also want to ensure that the all the dirt, danders, debris, and allergens that have been stuck for a while on your Great Pyrenees coat.
|Shampoo||Best For||Why To Buy||Check on Amazon|
|Earthbath Shed Control Shampoo||Aggressive Shedder||It can Remove Dirts and Dead/Loose Hairs From Your Dog Skin. It also Smells Nice. Best Rated.||View on Amazon|
|Healthy Breeds Herbal Shampoo for Dry Itchy Skin||For Long Haired Dog Breed||It works best for Long Haired Dogs and Prevents Dryness. It can relieve Your Dog From any Kind of Itch. 5 Star Rating||View on Amazon|
|Oster Oatmeal Essentials Shed Control Dog Shampoo||Perfect For Any Dog Breed That Shed||It smells good. It can kill itchiness and can also reduce the amount of shedding. Amazon Choice & 4.7 rated.||View on Amazon|
- Make sure that you are feeding the Great Pyrenees with good quality of food because high-quality food always contains high-quality ingredients that is necessary for you Great Pyrenees skin.
Healthy skin is always a good sign that indicates that your Great Pyrenees is not suffering from any kind of allergy or infection or disease. Healthy skin also means that the danders forming and shedding will be a minimum
- Avoid Cheap food because it has been observed that Cheap foods do have nutrition nut doesn’t have the right place of nutrition that is necessary for the Great Pyrenees skin. Adding to that, you should also ensure that you avoid bad quality food.
- Avoid feeding your Great Pyrenees with any kind of kitchen leftover food or food that contains grain. Grains are harmful to dogs and that is why I would recommend you avoid any kind of food that contains the grain in it. Check every commercial food before you buy it.
- Here are the recommended foods that I would recommend to you because these foods not only have the right balance of Nutrition as well as is going to ensure that your Great Pyrenees all nutritional needs get fulfilled. These foods are also the best-rated food on Amazon.
|Recommended Food||Why To Buy||Check on Amazon|
|Stella & Chewy’s Freeze||It Contains all the raw nutrients that your dogs actually need. Plus, it is 100% Grain-free 🙂 🍖||View on Amazon|
|Ziwi Peak Air-Dried Dog||It contains AIR-DRIED NUTRITION and tastes good to your beloved dog. Best rated Nutritious Food🐕||View on Amazon|
|Taste of the Wild Pet Food||It is known as one of the tastiest food to dogs that contain wild salmon. It is a protein-rich food that can strengthen your dog muscles and it’s hair follicles.🐶||View on Amazon|
- You can feed your Great Pyrenees with supplements because supplements is very effective to the owner who wants to make that dog’s skin more and more healthy each month.
Omega supplements and fatty supplements are the best one for the dog skin. Make sure that you are choosing the Omega supplements that have been derived from wild fishes. Fishes are also healthy for your dog’s skin.
Tips For Families With Allergies
- Always wash your hand after you are done handling or playing or spending time with your Great Pyrenees. It is a smart move to prevent their danders from getting stuck on your palm.
- Always make sure that your Great Pyrenees is peeing in a designated area because you need to avoid their urine as much as possible
- Teach your dog not to lick you and how to keep their tongue to themselves. If your dog drools often that it can be concerning because you need to avoid that saliva as well.
- Take your medications properly because there are lots of antihistamines that can really block the problems that are causing you in your over-sensitive immune system around the Great Pyrenees.
Some of the common antihistamines are easily available over the counter of your local Walmart Great Pyrenees. Here are the examples.
- Don’t distress any kind of carpet in your home because their danders can get stuck in it. Wooden flooring and marble flooring are the best ones for Great Pyrenees.
- Don’t handle or allow your dog on your bed because their danders can also fall right and get stuck on your bed where you will be sleeping unconsciously allowing those irritants to get right into the places where it shouldn’t be. So put some bedroom off-limit rules.
- Install a good air cleaner if more than one person has an allergy to dogs because you need to ensure that you are breathing in an allergen-free air.
I hope that you understand what I said and you find this post helpful and if you did then do share this post because it is going to encourage us to write more about them.
If you have any questions regarding Great Pyrenees then you can comment below and let me know and I will try to give your answer or response as soon as possible. See in the next post, till then, take care and goodbye.