We're an affiliate! We may Earn small commission, When you purchase through our affiliate links.
There was a time when crested geckos were thought to be extinct, but a couple of decades ago, they were found and kept as pets. Nowadays, crested geckos are among the most popular pet lizards and reptiles you can have in this world.
But do crested geckos make good pets? This article will answer an exciting question: are crested geckos good pets, and if they like to be petted.
There are many reasons why crested geckos have been named house pets and are kept by a large population. You must know that these reptiles are not as cuddly as other pets like cats and dogs. Many reptile lovers & enthusiasts still prefer crested geckos due to their unique colour and morphs.
Let’s learn why are crested geckos good pets. Plus, we will also know if it is suitable for beginners and not. Like other reptiles, they don’t require lots of heat and lighting. But, they do need proper maintenance and care.
Having a crested gecko can be fun to watch, but you can’t expect them to be as affectionate and loyal as a dog. As a pet, geckos have an excellent reputation and are considered a good starter pet for people who like keeping reptiles and lizards.
Due to the wide range of colours and patterns (known as morphs) available in crested geckos, they are also being kept as a hobby. Let’s learn if crested geckos are suitable for children and adults or not.
Our Crested Geckos Good Pets?
Crested geckos are available in many morphs that attract many people. Many people prefer keeping them as a pet but do crested geckos make good pets?
Crested geckos are a good pet for those who tend to be busy all day long but free at night. This pet is suitable for people having hectic work schedules and coming home late. The crested geckos also need proper maintenance and care.
Keeping them in improper care will lead them to health issues. Not even a single person in the family can be the same, so it is essential to learn the care routine for the geckos before getting one.
Here are the following factors that can help you determine if crested geckos will be a good pet or not. We first look at the following factors to determine if they are good pets or not with proper examination & analysis. Some of the factors can be less important depending upon your lifestyle and situation.
7 Factors To Determine How Good Crested Geckos Are As Pets
- Hypoallergenic Nature Of The Lizard: Some people tend to have allergies to reptiles and lizard sheds. This is why it is essential to consider its factors before getting any pet.
- Some crested geckos tend to have hypoallergenic nature as well. So, all in all, some geckos can also be kept as pets by people having an allergy to animal skin and fur.
- Ease Of Care: Crested geckos are one of the most accessible pets to care for.
- Housing: Crested geckos need small to medium size tanks with minimal lighting and heat. Their housing requirement is comparatively easy to set up than other reptiles.
- Lifespan: all of us want a pet that can live longer and give memories for as long as possible. Fortunately, crested geckos tend to have a higher lifespan. Here is a good guide for how long do crested geckos live.
- Child Friendliness: If you have childrens in your home, you might consider teaching them how to handle lizards. A gecko can be tamed and friendly with kids, making them good pets for families with kids.
- Adoption And Recurring Cost: Fortunately, crested geckos are affordable. The recurring cost and the adoption cost depends upon the type of crested gecko you get. Some crested geckos are very rare and can be priced above $2000.
- Attention Seeking: A pet that doesn’t require attention is best for busy people with hectic daytime schedules. Crested geckos don’t need attention all day long because they sleep & rest all day long. Here is a valuable guide on how do crested geckos sleep. This guide helps learn how a crested gecko can sleep with its eyes open.
Why Are Crested Geckos Good Pets?
Crested makes excellent pets because they are suitable for beginners and kids. They are also very affordable and don’t require attention all day long. It’s fun to watch at night because they are nocturnal and stay active at night.
There are many reasons why they make great pets. Let’s learn 9 reasons why crested geckos are good pets.
9 Reasons Why Crested Geckos Make Good Pets
- Crested Geckos Can Change Colour.
I don’t know if you know this, but people looking for reptiles who can change their colour need geckos. These crested geckos can change their colour according to their mood. A fired-up crested gecko will look very bright, while a fired down will look dull. You can learn more about how do crested geckos change colours.
- Crested Geckos Are Fragile But Soft To Touch.
Most people don’t know that these cute little geckos are very soft to touch and almost feel velvety. In many forums and websites, they have also been nicknamed velvet geckos.
The back and the head between the crest of the geckos tend to be very smooth and velvet. Most people assume these small pets have tough skin because of the scaly or slimming skin they see in the picture.
- Crested Geckos Are Great Decor Due To Their Wide Range Of Morph Availability.
I don’t know if you know this, but these cute little crested geckos are packed with many actions and adventures. It will also be entertaining to watch them at night. Due to their mind-blowing varying morphs availability, you can decorate your home with a bunch of crested geckos.
Crested gecko tanks will look similar to the aquarium but without water enhancing your home beauty. You can also add some substrate along with vines background and plants to decorate. The tank will be more friendly for geckos.
It is vital to set up their tank correctly. He is a good guide on how big of a tank do crested geckos need.
- Crested Geckos Don’t Have Body Odor.
One of the best things that attract many people to have these cresties is their odourless feature. They don’t have body odour, so it can be easy to buy them if you need to convince your parents.
Without cleaning them, you can go for a month with your geckos without any smell. However, the moisture-filled substrate can absorb their urine and poops inside the tank but will not smell like other reptiles and lizards. It would help if you cleaned their tank once a month at least to keep it odourless.
- Crested Geckos Are Great Jumpers.
These cute little geckos can jump long distances. Make sure to provide some decor and arrangement inside their tank for them to play around with. Crested geckos tend to be very fearless reptiles who can jump wherever & whenever they want. Crested Geckos jump with the help of their extra skin under their arms which act as a gliding muscle in the air.
- Crested Geckos Are Easy To Feed.
In captivity, crested geckos can be fed a wide range of fruits, vegetables and insects. If you plan to provide a supplemental diet to your gecko, consider getting powder form as it will be easy to mix.
Here are a few great resources on what crested geckos can eat.
- What Insects Can Crested Geckos Eat?
- What Vegetables Can Crested Geckos Eat?
- What Fruits Can Crested Geckos Eat?
- Crested Geckos Are Affordable And Cheap To Maintain.
Geckos don’t need a huge budget to have. They are very cheap to buy as well as to set up in your home. However, their maintenance should be done correctly. A gecko can be satisfied with little food as well and can go many days without food. Plus, geckos rarely get sick, which makes us less concerned about their health.
- Crested Geckos Are Small.
Due to their small size can be kept in a medium or large enclosure, depending upon your preference. Plus, kids tend to get frightened around giant reptiles. Having these small geckos will make everybody handle them and enjoy that time with these cresties.
- Crested Geckos Have Prehensile Tails.
If you don’t know what the prehensile tail is, let me tell you, in reptiles, it acts as an extra limb to hang upside down from tree branches and others when they are about to fall.
So, when handling this cute little crestie, they can even wrap their tails around your finger, making you feel trust. If it wraps its tail around your palm or your finger, it means they trust you and enjoy spending time with you.
Are Crested Geckos Good Pets For Beginners?
Crested geckos are perfect for beginners and anyone looking for a pet with a long lifespan. As they’re available in many marks, sizes, and colors, you will get one according to your need and style. These pads are great for beginners because of their relatively docile temperament.
However, sometimes, crested geckos untamed can become skittish when handling them. Some geckos don’t like being tamed or handled. Some may even try to jump away from your hand or you.
Do Crested Geckos Like To Be Pet?
Due to an underdeveloped emotional system and absence of emotional capacity. However, they can feel trust. If you stroke or pet your crested gecko, they will offer confidence in return.
At first, crested geckos don’t like to be pet or handled, but as you bond and build trust, your crested gecko will let you pet and hold it for an extended time.
Just for your knowledge, crested geckos are not domesticated reptiles, but still, they are being kept by many people. From the past till now, they have never been bred by people, so these geckos are very wild with desire and need.
However, if you adopt a crested gecko from a reputable breeder who has tamed and socialized its lizards/reptiles with humans, perhaps your gecko will spend more time with you after a couple of days.
In the wild, you will find these cute little lizards spending most of the time on the tree branches, which is why it is essential to the decor. Their enclosure makes it somehow exciting for them.
They should be able to exercise, jump, climb, hide, and walk inside the tank. Here is a good guide on how much space do crested geckos need.
Our Crested Geckos Easy To Take Care Of?
Yes, crested geckos are easy to care for & affordable. They don’t need high maintenance or regular cleaning in their tank. Plus, they can also survive in minimal feeding. A crested gecko can also be fed a variety of diets and commercial foods.
3 Things To Keep In Mind When Getting A Crested Gecko.
- They need minimal lighting and heating.
- Humidity and temperature inside their tank should be maintained at the right level.
- Spot cleaning their enclosure once a week, and complete cleaning once a month is required.
All in all, crested geckos make a great pet and are easy to care for. Plus, they don’t need a vast space to be kept. Being a solitary animal, you should keep your crested gecko alone.
Is It Hard To Take Care Of A Crested Gecko?
If you can provide them with proper housing with sufficient care and maintenance, the crested gecko is very easy to care for. Some species of geckos need lots of effort, preparation, and maintenance. However, in the case of crested geckos, they are not hard to take care of.